Friday, November 4, 2011

English Grammar : Conditional Sentence

Learn Grammar | English Grammar : Conditional Sentence | Known as conditionals, because the meaning is contained in the sentence is contrary to the true meaning. In English there are three types of conditionals, each of which has its own usefulness. In the sentence modality there are two clauses, namely:

a. Conditional clause is also called the if clause
b. Expectations of such clause; which in this case as a main clause.
A. Type
Conditional sentence type used to express things that are expected to occur, to describe these things will happen. Thus the sentences using a certain thing will happen, if at certain things are met.

Formula :
If + Subject + verb-1 + (object;subject; +will+verb-1 + object

example :
  • If he gives me invitation I will come to the party
  • I believe that he will be angry with me if I come late
  • You will pass your test if you study hard
  • If he has many problems, I will help him
Things that need to be recorded in this type:
1. The verb used is the verb base.
2. Will not be used in the if clause auxiliary
3. This sentence is used to describe things that will happen, if certain requirements are met.


If he gives me invitation, I will come to the party


From this sentence is known that he has not given an invitation to me. And if he gives an invitation to me, I will come to the party. I'm going to the party, if the invitation requirements are met. Likewise for the next sentences in the above example.

B. Type II
Conditional sentence type II is used to express things that are in fact contrary to the present circumstances, not to predict things that will happen.

formula :
If + subject + Verb 2 + (object;subject) + would + + (verb 1) + object

example :
If I were a teacher, I would teach them.
What would you do if you were her brother?


If he he gave the better, I could read it.
From this sentence can be known that he was present he did not give the letter, so you can not read it.

If he were in the room, he could see the picture.
From this sentence he is now known that nothing in the room so that he can not see the picture.

Things that need to be considered in this sentence:
1. The verb used in the if clause is the verb form past, then we use; would / Could + verb 1
2. In the if clause is never used would / Could + verb 1
3. Conditional sentences type II is used to express things that are contrary to the present circumstances.

C. Type III
Conditional sentence type III is used to express the things that already happened that can not happen again.
Formula :
If + subject + had +verb 3 + object , I + would have + verb 3 + object

example:
If she had known the news, I believe that she would have gone.
From this sentence can be known that he did not already know the news, so he did not go. Because he did not know the story, he did not go.

If he had been there, I could have told him the matter.
This sentence implies that he already was not there so I can not say that.

Things that need to be considered in the conditional type III:

1. We use the verb form "had verb3 +" in the if clause, because to declare the things that already happened, and we use "would / Could + have + verb 3" in the main clause.
2. Similarly as in the other type in the if clause is not used "would / Could '+ have + verb3
3. As in the example explained that conditional sentences type III is used to express things that are past and can not be repeated.
4. If clause can be placed in front or behind for all of the above type. If the if clause is placed in front, then after the if clause is added a comma.
 http://learngrammar.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment