Wednesday, December 13, 2017

The Comparative Degree of Quantity

  • Showing differences
Suppose you have three oranges.
Your brother has four oranges.
How do you compare the quantity of yours and his ?

Follow the patterns :

Fewer
Countable nouns
Than
More
Countable or Uncountable nouns
Than
Less
Uncountable nouns
Than

Oranges are countable nouns, so the two sentence above  will be:
  1. I have fewer oranges than my brother does.
  2. My brother has more oranges than I do.
More examples :

No
Sentences
Comparative degree of quantity
1
Mrs. Chandra has Rp75,000.00 in her wallet.
Mrs. Indra has Rp100,000.00 in her wallet
·         Mrs. Candra has less money in her wallet than Mrs. Indra does.
·         Mrs. Indra has more money in her wallet than Mrs. Candra does.
2
I drank a glass of water.
My brother drank two glasses of water.
·         I drank less water than my brother did.
·         My broter drank more water than I did.
3
Vita’s book has 120 pages.
Gita’s book has 100 pages
·         Vita’s book has more pages than gita’s.
·         Gita’s book has fewer  pages than vita’s.

  • Showing no differences /similarities 
Vita has two pens in her pencil-case.
Tiara has two pens in her pencil-case.
How would you compare the quantity of those two girl's pen ?

Following the patterns :

As many
Countable nouns
As
As much
Uncountable nouns
As

So, the following sentences above would be like this :
  • Vita has as many pens as Tiara does.
More examples :



No
Sentence
Comparison
1
Mr.Candra works eight hours a day.
Mrs. Candra works eight hours a day.
Mr Candra work as many hours as Mrs. Candra does
2
Mrs. Candra buys ten kilograms of sugar every month.
Mrs. Indra buys ten kilograms of sugar everyday.
Mrs. Candra buys as much sugar as Mrs. Indra does.

No comments:

Post a Comment