Friday, November 16, 2018

Grammar : Use of Modals " May and Might "

Education English |  Grammar : Use of Modals " May and Might " | 1. Modal auxiliary may used for :
a.  Asking permission (permissions)
     May I borrow your book?
     May I use your pen ?
     Certainly you may
.
b. Stating the possibility (possibility to present)
    The thief may be in the warehouse
    They may be at the canteen.
  
c. Expressed the hope (wish)
    May you be happy.
    May god bless !

d. Stating suggestions / advice in the form of the phrase, "may as well".
    You may as well learn from him

2. Modal auxiliary might used for :
a. Stating permission, may form from the past.
    He said that I might go to the doctor.
 
b. Stating the possibility of time now, which is more subtle than using may.
   She might be unhappy
   Niken might have apologized

c. expressed the hope
    Might I find you next day.

d. To declare the petition.
    You might help me solve my problems.
http://www.education-english.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment